>    6752          exit(1);
>    6753        }
>    6754        my_bind_addr = (ulong)
> ((in_addr*)ent->h_addr_list[0])->s_addr;
>    6755      }
>    6756      break;
>

> > And with other DBs, I can set 'sql.example.com' to resolve to N
> > IPs (N=4 in this example):
> >
> > 10.0.0.10
> > 10.0.1.10
> > 10.0.2.10
> > 10.0.3.10
> >
> > Then I can have N separate hosts share the same start-up script,
> > because the SQL server binds only to those IPs which are local.  Since
> > each of the N servers has only one of those IPs locally, each
> > server automatically binds to the correct IP.  And if the IPs ever
> > change, I just update DNS, and there's no need to do any maintenance
> > on the start-up scripts.  These IPs would not necessarily be in the
> > same subnet and in fact, are CNAMEs, such as sql.example.com
> > defined as:
> >
> > sql.example.com.    IN      CNAME dallas-sql.example.com
> > sql.example.com.    IN      CNAME cleveland-sql.example.com
> > sql.example.com.    IN      CNAME portland-sql.example.com
> > sql.example.com.    IN      CNAME sydney-sql.example.com
> >
> > I am grateful to be making progress.  Thank you for your assistance.
>
> Hmm, I guess you'd expect to at least get warnings for each of these
> that couldn't be bound to?

A *warning*, yes.  There's certainly no way to bind to an IP that isn't
local.  However, if the IP *is local*, and yet MySQL *still* can't bind to
it, that should be an *error*.

> This seems like a very strange way to configure a machine.  To each, his
> own. :)

The advantage is that all the machines can have exactly the same configuration
(except for the ifconfig IP).  The sql start-up is exactly the same, and
thus you only maintain 1 script instead of N.

Another case where this would be handy is on a machine with multiple NICs on
various LANs.  One might set a DNS to resolve to the N different IPs that
machine has, and then tell the SQL server to bind to that DNS name.  The
SQL server could then automatically answer queries on each of the IPs
specified in DNS.

Jim