Here is what I am trying to do:
I am creating a clockin/out utility with php and mysql. I need to do  some
error checking and look at the last record of the current employee to make
sure it is a completed transaction. In other words, I want to make sure that
before I clock someone in, that they successfully clocked out the day
before. I think I need to stick a subselect inside an if/then statement.
Something like:

Table definition:
id, employee, timein, timeout

when client tries to clock in:
<?
//find out of the person forgot to clock out yesterday
if((timeoutof last record of table where employee=$employee_id) = 0)
{
//clock them in
//send me a message
email($myemailaddress, $subject, $body);
}
//clock them in
mysql_query("Insert into time values(NULL, $employee_id, unix_timestamp(),
0)");
?>

I can't figure out how to find out that condition in my if statement

Sincerely,
Clay Stuckey - MIS, MCSE
Charleston Housing Authority
(843) 224-9141