What makes you think that temporary tables would have better
performance than LIMIT?  I'm not saying they do, or don't, just
wondering what makes you say that.

Each query, yes, would make a new temporary table.  However, once that
session disconnects, the temporary table goes away.  Something to
think about if you're using stateless connections (like you have to in
PHP4).

-Sheeri