Dan Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/07/2006 05:47:41 AM:

> yet just another multi-national gupling up its competitors, i stumbled
> across this blog
> http://golgote.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2005/10/08/oracle-buys-
> innodb.html and had no idea, its just as bad the the latest Eola patent
> case against microsoft and others its getting out of hand. What are
> going to be the effects on the development of Mysql if oracle is going
> to own the company that supply Innodb ?

As of the most recent official comments from those in the know (the actual
principals involved in negotiations), there is no anticipated impact on
either InnoDB or MySQL.

The worst case scenario is that the development and support of InnoDB
forks into two versions. One stays within Oracle's realm the other belongs
to the community. InnoDB is still open source and I have heard of no
intent to change that status.

There have also been rumors of other open-source developers trying to
develop more database engines. Perhaps one of them will surpass InnoDB and
take over as the preferred transactional engine.

Basically, it's still business as usual; only it's with a different
businessman.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine