Check this GUI out for monitoring running processes.

http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~f91-men/qps/

It will show you the connection parameters passed to the
mysqld daemon.

I've had a terrible time trying to work out whether mysqld
was actually running or not.The error messages are not too
helpfull when trying to connect to the server.

I also found it very usefull to know if mysqld was actually
running.

Sometimes, I would start mysql via mysqld_safe. But I
noticed using qps that mysqld_safe was running, but it
failed to start the mysqld!

I don't bother using mysqld_safe anymore - apache doesn't
need a wrapper script like mysqld_safe. If Apache stops
running, then it doesn't matter if mysqld is still running
or not - you won't connect to mysqld via a web application.

Regards

keith