Been wondering this for a while now, I can explain how I do it, but I am
sure there are better ways.

I have products and attributes, for example:
Product A
    nice
    sweet
    fast
    funny

Attributes are arbitrary, attributes are in a separate table.  Yes, I could
add fields for the attributes to the products table, but that does not allow
the client the flexibility to add new attributes on the fly.

Generally, in the products table I have a text filed where I store the id of
the attribute, space separated, for example:
attributes: 1 5 23 56 3 6

The trouble is, when I want to find all products where the attribute id is 5
and 23 and 3, I have to build it up like so:

Select prod_name from products where attribute_id like ' 5 ' AND etc etc etc
which also leads to issues with leading and trailing spaces on the first and
last attribute id's

Suggestions?