[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 03/10/2006 04:02:11 AM:

> It's not on the mysql site yet Greg.
>
> From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sat Mar  4 23:00:04 2006
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: Alfredo Kengi Kojima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: ANNC: MySQL Workbench 1.0.5 beta released
>

> MySQL Workbench 1.0.5 beta has been released.
>
> MySQL Workbench is a database design tool for MySQL.
> MySQL objects such as tables, routines and views can be created and
> edited and
> their visual representation on the canvas enables one to
> quickly understand and work efficiently with complex and simple database

> schemas.
>

> Feature highlights:
> - Reverse engineering of existing MySQL databases
> - Import DBDesigner4 models
> - Synchronize edited model with MySQL database
> - Generate SQL create script file
> - Printing (Windows)
> - Powrefull scripting and plugin interface. Plugins can be written in
several
> languages, such as Lua, PHP, Java and Python.
> - Fast, OpenGL based graphical canvas
> - Quickly accessible "Overview" mode, which zooms out the whole canvas
> reveal a more general view.
>
> An OpenGL capable video card with at least 32MB of memory is needed to
use
> MySQL Workbench.
>
> Windows binaries are available at:

ftp://ftp.mysql.com/pub/mysql/download/mysql-workbench-1.0.5-beta-win32.msi
> ftp://ftp.mysql.com/pub/mysql/download/mysql-workbench-1.0.5-beta-
> win32.msi.md5
> ftp://ftp.mysql.com/pub/mysql/download/mysql-workbench-1.0.5-beta-
> win32-noinstall.zip
> ftp://ftp.mysql.com/pub/mysql/download/mysql-workbench-1.0.5-beta-
> win32-noinstall.zip.md5
>
> Linux/Gtk+ binaries are available at:
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-1.suse93.i586.rpm
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-1.suse93.i586.rpm.md5
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-1.suse93.src.rpm
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-1.suse93.src.rpm.md5
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-linux-i386.tar.gz
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta-linux-i386.tar.gz.md5
>
> The SuSE RPM or the tar.gz should work on most recent distributions.
> Binaries for more distributions and architectures will follow.
>
> Mac OS X binaries will be available soon briefly.
>

> Sources:
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta.tar.gz
> mysql-workbench-1.0.5beta.tar.gz.md5
>

> Changes since the last alpha version:
>
> All platforms
> - Significant speed improvements in the Generic Canvas
> - Auto arrange elements
> - Markers
> - Switchable grid display
> - Complete database <-> synchronization
> - Reverse engineering is complete
> - New feature: plug-ins, which are scripts to be used for certain
> tasks in WB-
> DBDesigner4 import
>

> Windows
> - Significantly faster model load
> - Export model as image (png)
> - Printing with preview
> - Copy Region as Image
> - Full GRT integration (including tabbed shell), supported
>    for scripting, are now: Lua, Python
> - Model properties page
> - Table options editing
> - BUG when deleting objects is still present
>
> Linux
> - Added several commands for layouting (send back/front etc)
> - Object properties tab
>

> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Alfredo Kojima, GUI Developer
> MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
> Buenos Aires, Argentina
>
> Are you MySQL certified?  www.mysql.com/certification
>

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Gregory Machin wrote:
>
> > To: "mysql@lists.mysql.com" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
> > From: Gregory Machin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: mysql workbench and download?
> >
> > Hi
> where can I download mysql workbench ? The links on the mysql forum dont
> work ... and i cant seem to find another download ... probably not see
the
> wood for the treats ..
>
> Thanks

It's good that it's not posted on the site yet. I just tried the binary:
mysql-workbench-1.0.5-beta-win32-noinstall.zip

1) installed as usual and started well.
2) reverse engineering an exsiting database went smoothly
3) PROB: The entity relationshps were drawn in backwards. My parent tables
had the crow's feet pointed to them instead of the child tables.
4) I added a new 1:n relationshp using the 1:n tool. The connector between
the two tables appeared.
5) I went to synchronize the change with the backend database. In watching
the scripts as it was generated, the tool wanted to add two new columns
and was linking to the wrong field on the parent table
        a) I tried to edit the link to point it to the correct parent
field and child field for the FK but could not figure out how to change
the properties of the link.
        b) I tried to delete the link from the map. Couldn't do that.
        c) I referred to the bundled help file. It has only two paged in
it (understandable with a tool this new)
        d) I used the UI option to find the "online documentation". I was
redirected to the manual for MySQL 5.1 and couldn't get a response to a
search on the term "workbench".

It's looking good so far but I am not even sure I would call this "beta"
quality yet.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine