once a client connects to the server, mysql opens a (TCP/IP or Socket)
connection for the client, but after it has serviced the client , mysql
still keeps the connection open (thread is in sleep state) for some time
depending on the variable "wait_timeout" value anticipating more requests
from the client, so if within that time the client tries to issue a query to
the server, it doesn't have to open up a new connection , it will be
serviced usng the same connection, thus saving valuable server resources .
You don't have to do anyhting special for this to happen, just set
wait_timeout to a value that best fits your needs ....

Hope this clarifies your question ......

Kishore Jalleda