KJ> This would clear your doubt about which memory is shared by all
KJ> threads and which memory is used by individual threads ......
KJ> min_memory_needed_by_mysql  = (global_buffers +
KJ> ((thread_buffers )* max_connections)))

OK,  so when I see in `ps aux` that every thread uses 3.4% (twenty MB or
so  in  my  case) of memory it is not indeed true and actually the usage
for every thread is less than `ps` shows as I understand it?

KJ> Also its very easy to set key_buffer_size , just add up the
KJ> total size of your indexes in the mysql data dir ( *.MYI files) and
KJ> set the key buffer size approx to that, so that all your keys are in
KJ> memory also you can check your key efficiency using mytop to make
KJ> any changes...

I  don't  think it's always a good idea, because indexes for big (really
big) tables may be huge, and also not all indexes are used with the same
frequency...

By  the  way,  how  mysql caches indexes for a single table - separately
(i.e.  it  loads  only those indexes which are used) or altogether (i.e.
all  indexes  for  a table even if, say, only one index of several is in
use)?

If  table has, say, 3 indexes, and there comes a query which uses one of
these  indexes,  will  other  2 indexes be read and cached right now for
possible use in future?

May  key  be buffered if it exists in table but is never used by queries
(bad but possible example)?

KJ> Kishore Jalleda

Denis Solovyov