On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:52:03 +0000 (GMT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Alex. It seems that mysqld and all the client
> programs insist on reading /etc/my.cnf first.
>
> To overide this behaviour for a particular instance of
> mysqld you need to pass the --defaults-file option as the
> FIRST parameter to mysqld_safe or mysqld if you are not using
> mysqld_safe.

Yes, I understand everything that you said Keith and have used the
options file logic to my advantage as well.  Thanks for the full
description.

What is not working for me is that the server-specific file does not
appear to be built into all of the objects like it was in 4.1.

For example, my.cnf is in basedir.  my.cnf has a [mysqld] group that
defines many options like various logging selections and tuning.  I do
not want those options in a global file since I am not supposed to
write to /etc/.  I am using a directory structure similar
to /usr/local/mysql5, but it is actually /opt/csw/mysql5.

The server-specific options are read on mysqld_safe at startup, as
evidenced by `mysqladmin variables`.

Without a /etc/my.cnf file, 'my_print_defaults mysqld' prints nothing.
With a /etc/my.cnf file, 'my_print_defaults mysqld' prints only the
options in /etc/my.cnf.  This is very different from 4.1 and causing me
a lot of headaches and is probably my biggest issue with 5.0.

I could go on about the utilities that do not work without a global
options file.

Another clue about this change from 4.1 is the `mysqld --verbose
--help` output not listing a server-specific options file on 5.0

I just wondered if I did something wrong or if I can just not use some
utilities in 5.0

The situation with 5.0 and the options file is really much bigger than
what I have described.  I have big problems with the 5.0 location of
the server-specific options file moving from datadir to basedir. But
that is another discussion.

Thanks,

Alex