Hello Paul,

I suggest you reply to the mailinglist :-) ...

> The developer insists that for scalability issues, this was the
> answer. It is likely, for example in my deployment, that these tables
> would see upwards of 10 million records or more.

Well, if there are problems with scalability, I guess you could
split it up in a few (not 1600) tables and have them avaialble
on different physical hard drives...

But -> why try to fix something that ain't broken (yet)?

Were you experiencing problems already? If the application
is fast WITHOUT merge tables, why bother?

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts: