> My current thinking is to break the entering of the property
> info into 3 separate forms, the first with the mandatory info
> does a insert to create the row with the remaining 100
> columns being seeded with $t=''. Group 2 & 3 will them be a
> update to the row using the 'set' keyword just touching the
> columns under their separate control.
>

> Does this sound like a workable solution or is there some
> other approach that is better suited to my application?

If you go this route I would set some kind of 'finalized' flag when the
user completes the third group (even if they left everything in this
group blank).  This way you can easily clear out abandoned
registrations, where the user completed step 1 but then bailed out for
some reason.

But I doubt you'll have a ton of users entering in property at one time,
I think you even said most of your traffic would be browsing and reading
the listings.  So I don't think it would be a problem to build up all
the data in a session and then write it all at once at the end.

-Ryan