I'm running a dual G5 xserve with OSXS 10.3.9. Mysql version 4.0.24 (the version that ships with the OS). For many months now mysql has been stopping/crashing about twice a week. It's primary purpose in life is to provide the database for a minimally used Horde webmail setup.

I've looked at the logs, and can find nothing that offers any indication of what is causing it to go down. I can also attest that it is truly dead, it is not present in the process list, and doing mysqladmin ping reports that there is no running server. Can anyone suggest additional steps for troubleshooting?

thanks,
Eben