On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:53 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> I'm just starting with mysql. I've got it going but am running into
> difficulties working through 2.9.2 of the user's manual. Specifically
> I'm having problems with where commands on pp 115ff are run from.
>
> (I'm running Fedora Core 4 and  Ver 8.41 Distrib 4.1.11, for
> redhat-linux-gnu on i386).
>
> I figured out that mysqladmin runs from my [EMAIL PROTECTED] prompt, without
> the bin/.
>
> I also got mysql show to run from there.  But then I tried 'mysqlshow
> mysql' and it wouldn't run. Nor would it run when I logged on as
> (system) root.  (It's terribly confusing to know when 'root' refers to
> MySQL root and when to the system root.) I get this result:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ mysqlshow
> +-----------+
> | Databases |
> +-----------+
> | test      |
> +-----------+
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ mysqlshow mysql
> mysqlshow: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ su -
> Password:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# mysqlshow mysql
> mysqlshow: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
> NO)
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> EB

More Confusions: When I try to follow the manual and enter
'bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &' I get this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ cd /usr
[EMAIL PROTECTED] usr]$ bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
[1] 10340
[EMAIL PROTECTED] usr]$ cat: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid: Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid': Permission denied
Fatal error: Can't remove the pid file: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
bin/mysqld_safe: line 284: /var/log/mysqld.log: Permission denied
Please remove it manually and start bin/mysqld_safe again
mysqld daemon not started

This command will start the server, but only from system root: 'service
mysqld start'. Isn't there a way to start mysql other than as root?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

EB