> I apologize if this is a naive question but it appears through my
> testing that a RIGHT JOIN may out perform an INNER JOIN in those cases
> where they would produce identical result sets. i.e. there are no keys
> in the left table that do not exist in the right table.
>
> Is this true? If so, it this peculiar to MySQL or would this be true
> with almost all database servers? i.e. Oracle, DB2, MSSQL, etc.

Use the join that is appropriate for your query, do not use a
different one.

If speed isn't OK, then bug the guys that do the implementation,
but don't start changing the query that _might_ return a different
result if, for example, someone else starts working at the application
and figures "hey, this is a right join, so it's optional" etc ...

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts: