On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Marten Lehmann wrote:

I had a lot of trouble today because the InnoDB integration in MySQL is lousy. I read the manual and worked with innodb_per_file_table. So when I shutdown mysql I should be able to delete ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1 and ibdata1, because all table-data should be stored in the .idb and .frm files. But this obviously is not the case! MySQL always reports errors that it can't find the table files, although they are in the directory of the database. And additionally: If I'm removing the files from a databases and try to create a table that existed before (but now doesn't exist because the files are removed), I can't create it any more. What is the function of ib_logfile and ibdata? I expected them to store transaction data only, but the seem to store more. But documentation is very sparse on that.

This is spelled out pretty clearly in the manual:

InnoDB always needs the shared tablespace because it puts its internal data dictionary and undo logs there. The .ibd files are not sufficient for InnoDB to operate.

right from the section on using innodb_file_per_table:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/multiple-tablespaces.html

And as others have said, you always need the logfiles.

Good luck,
Ware