That's a pretty difficult request:

1) What versions? MySQL 4.0 has no stored procedures, functions, views, subselects. 4.1 added subselects. 5.0 added the rest. Oracle 8i doesn't support ANSI-style outer joins (they use a proprietary format).

2) Different engines; MySQL supports federated, archive, MyISAM, InnoDB in 5.0 (there are probably a few others). Each engine has different DML (Data Manipulation Language - select, insert, update, delete) and DDL options (ALTER TABLE, CREATE TABLE, etc).

3) Built-in funtions vary widely (though there are some common ones, the format
and structure can differ).

That's just touching the surface (I have 5 minutes while a database machine
reboots, so I thought I'd post a reply).

I am not sure what you are after, but you might want to consider an existing ORM (Object-Relational) tool that does the SQL for you. Hibernate for Java is amazing, and NHibernate is now out for .NET (not sure if it's alpha, beta or production).

If you are coding to experiment, I'd suggest you limit yourself to a few (MySQL-InnoDB is very popular, and Postgres). Both free, with lots of good online-documentation available.

Check out this article:

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743

David

ChadDavis wrote:
Does anyone know of a resource ( on the web perhaps ) that discusses the
core differences between the different database's sql.  I'm trying to
write
code that produces the correct sql for a variety of databases.  Such
things
as Oracle's SEQUENCES versus mysql's AUTO_INCREMENT are of interest.
Maybe
I'm asking too much to find a summary of such differences.  But I'm only
interested in using mainstream sql functinality, nothing complicated.