On 24/03/2006 11:06 a.m., Eric Beversluis wrote:
Can someone illustrate the correct syntax for using auto_increment in
making a table? I've studied the manual and I'm not seeing how it comes
out.

EG: CREATE TABLE Books (
 bookID INT(5) PRIMARY KEY AUTO_INCREMENT...

THEN WHAT?
Thanks.
EB

Should be:

bookID INT(5) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY

Primary keys have to be NOT NULL, and "AUTO_INCREMENT" must appear before "PRIMARY KEY"

AUTO_INCREMENT fields should normally be INT UNSIGNED as well since you generally won't want to store a negative ID number, and this gives you an extra byte.

-Simon