If the features available in stored procedures {i.e. looping etc.} are
required, have you tried having the procedure 1st write/edit the data in a
temporary table and at the end select the values you want from that table.

I think I might write 2 procedures. One that does the data manipulation and
the other that selects the result.
something like this

DELIMITER //
DROP PROCEDURE IF EXITS manipulate//