David Godsey wrote:

I know, I know, sounds like something that should be done in the
presentation layer, howerver if possible, I would like to provide common
data presentation to multiple presentation layers (written in different
languages).

So is there anyway to return an array in mysql?

Your aware your doing something stupid and want to do it anyway :-(

Why not return the values from your user defined mysql function as a (properly quoted) ,comma seperated list. Since almost every application language now has a standard csv file handling library it should be easy to use across diverse display technologies.

Urrgh

Nigel