Folk,

This may be off-base for this list, but I've run out of places to look, sorry.
I can't seem to find this anywhere, although I'm certain I've seen it before.

How can I identify all the records in a table that are not referenced in a
many-to-many table?

I have a [unique] table of files and a [unique] table of attributes.  These are
linked in a merge table which is many-to-many.  I need to find all items in the
file table that are not referenced in the merge table in order to add
appropriate attributes for those records.  The attribute list is 26-30 records
and the file table is currently about 3,200 records, which could make for a
merge table of 96,000 records.

I tried using an IN statement against a sub-select of unique file ids in the
merge table, but either that will not work or I did not craft it properly  The
query hit 6 million records before I aborted it <sigh />.

I'm certain this can be done ... I seem to remember a similar process from the
DB2 corporate days ... but I just cannot wrap my head around it.  Anybody have
any ideas, please?

Make a good day ...
                                  ... barn