Yes you are right it works... but if the documentation is wrong I will be
wrong in the following also...
Majority of SET statements are documented without quotes:

AUTOCOMMIT = {0 | 1}
BIG_TABLES = {0 | 1}
FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = {0 | 1}
IDENTITY = value
INSERT_ID = value
LAST_INSERT_ID = value
SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL = {0 | 1}
SQL_BIG_SELECTS = {0 | 1}
SQL_BUFFER_RESULT = {0 | 1}
SQL_LOG_BIN = {0 | 1}
SQL_LOG_OFF = {0 | 1}
SQL_LOG_UPDATE = {0 | 1}
SQL_QUOTE_SHOW_CREATE = {0 | 1}
SQL_SAFE_UPDATES = {0 | 1}
SQL_SELECT_LIMIT = {value | DEFAULT}
SQL_WARNINGS = {0 | 1}
TIMESTAMP = {timestamp_value | DEFAULT}
UNIQUE_CHECKS = {0 | 1}

Even the:
CHARACTER SET {charset_name | DEFAULT}

I'm not talking here about setting a string user variable without quotes...
that would be absurd... but reaching to
SET NAMES this one is the only one documented *WITH quotes*:

NAMES {'charset_name' | DEFAULT}

And also its pointed that with a note:

> Note that the syntax for SET NAMES differs from that for setting most
> other options.

Also in the manual on chapter: *10.4. Connection Character Sets and
Collations*
there is written:

> There are two statements that affect the connection character sets:
>
> SET NAMES '*charset_name*'
> SET CHARACTER SET *charset_name*
>
> Again the SET NAMES with quotes anything else without !

So... dear writers of MySQL... or DOCs... what's the catch ?

And... of course I'll use it with quotes ... until further notice !
--
Gabriel PREDA
Senior Web Developer