any one of the servers could go down in many ways like
1) disk crash
2) replication failure
3) power failure
4) any hardware component failure
5) OS hang
6) Network failure
7) MYSQL bug
8) table corruption etc .......
9) or just scheduled donwtime

in any case what really matters is the difference in status of the failed
server from the point of failure to the point of recovery , so it all
depends on how up-to-date your data is on the failed server.. here are some
typical cases ..
1) you have everything intact ( data, bin logs, *.info files, etc ) then
just bring back the failed server online and you are good to go
2) if you rebuild the server from scratch it depends on how current your
backup is , in this take a snapshot of the main server ( either hot or cold
depending on your setup) and start the multi-master replication ..

In theory you really dont have to take the server offline unless it really
demands , in the worst case as Barry said its lot easier to shut down the
master (if you can afford some downtime) take a complete
snapshot/backup/dump ( varies for MYISAM and INNODB)  and bring back the
failed server back online

Hope this helps

Kishore Jalleda