I think this is normal as the binary log will contain a record of all changes made to the data, therefore if you are loading large files regularly- the bin logs will be quite large. If you do not want the binary logging, edit the my.cnf file, comment out the line log-bin (#log-bin) and restart the server.

Ade

C.R.Vegelin wrote:

Hi List,

I would appreciate your help on the following.
When using LOAD DATA INFILE 'inputfile.txt' into a MyISAM table, it creates mysql-bin.nnnnnn files under my database directory
with the size of 'inputfile.txt' (about 200 MB).
Since I have to load 12 inputfiles, I get about 2.5 GB of mysql-bin files.

Question: is this normal ? If not, how can I avoid these mysql-bin files ?

When using MySQL Administrator to look at a mysql-bin file, it shows only:
  060330 8:29:00 [Note] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqld-nt:
ready for connections.
  Version: '5.0.15-nt-log' socket: '' port: 3306 Official MySQL binary

I use the following script:

DELETE FROM myTable;
LOAD DATA INFILE 'infile.txt' INTO TABLE myTable
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' LINES TERMINATED BY '\r\n' IGNORE 1 LINES (..., ..., ...) SET ...;

The LOAD DATA ... gives: warnings = 0

MySQL version is: MySQL 5.0.15-nt-log on a Windows XP machine.

TIA and Regards, Cor