In Windows, you have 3 alternatives:

1 - wait untill it stops the service (can take very long time).
2 - restart the server (your users might cry a bit).
3 - Try to kill the task using Task Manager (this might not work, depending on the service).

/Johan

Sara Woglom wrote:
Please help, I can't start my server!! I was running a query, and it seemed to be hanging. After waiting about 15
minutes, I finally did a 'CTRL+BREAK' to abort the process.  This happened
about 3 times, and finally I decided to restart the MySQL service to see if
that would help.  Well, when I did that, the service wouldn't stop.  Now
when I go into the Services manager in Windows, the MySQL service is listed
as 'Stopping,' and all the control buttons (stop, start, restart) are all
grayed out.  The problem is, the service is NOT stopping and I can't restart
it doing a 'mysqld --console' either.  What do I do?