As my server does not get alot of traffic I tend to shutdown
mysql, and do an OS copy of the complete /var/lib/mysql
directory to another partition on another drive. Then
restart mysql again.

This may not be a feasable option on a busy server.

Obviously each person has their way of doing backups. I do
need to study the manual myself on all available backup
options.

Regards

Keith