[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I agree with the basic design: one table for all of your basic objects (shirts, pants, coats, shoes, etc), one table for all of your attributes (see Barry's response), a sku table equating objects (differentiated by their attributes) and their inventory quantities (on hand, backordered, etc), and one more to relate SKU to all applicable attributes.
Hi All,

Shawn, what is a SKU?
Each SKU represents one combination of a base object with a particular set of attributes. IT's the SKU number that important for inventory control and that will uniquely identify a size 8 pair of jeans from a size 9 pair or a pair of black size 8s from a pair of red size 8s all in the same style (cut) from the same manufacturer
Makers:
maker_id
maker_desc

Products:
prod_id
prod_code
maker_id
prod_desc
attri_id
object_id

Attributes:
attri_id
attri_desc

Objects:
object_id
object_desc

That is where I got to, as I've never done this kinda design before. Thrown into the deep end, I guess. May I ask for more assistance with this? Where does the quantity go? Any tutorials on this kind of design? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.