Frank,

1)  Check out the FEDERATED storage engine, that might help.

2)  You cannot specify a different location for a read database and a
write database.

3)  Another solution is to use multiple databases -- each database is
just a directory, so you could try to symlink:

ie, if your datadir is /var/lib/mysql, and the cd has the files at
/mnt/cdrom/dbfiles/,
then

ln -s /var/lib/mysql/dbname/ /mnt/cdrom/dbfiles

This method is not recommended, but it's a way to do it.

-Sheeri