Jorrit Kronjee wrote:
You seem to be best off with a setup where you've got the MySQL5 UNIX socket disabled, MySQL5 bound to one specific IP address, MySQL4 listening on 127.0.0.1 and a simple port forwarding rule to MySQL4.

Then your clients won't have to change anything and they can migrate to MySQL5 when they're ready.

Or am I mistaken?

From Yves' last post, I concur with this. It's definitely not optimal -- you are substantially reducing performance to avoid a simple parameter that you could easily script (I assumed you would be prepared to simply specify the socket name as a parameter), but if your requirement is that clients must connect using default settings, then this is one way. Personally I'd find another.

Eric

--