At 02:57 PM 4/10/2006, Kosala Atapattu wrote:
Hi people,

I have a small problem. I forgot the password for user root in my
personal MySQL instance. I'm a Linux user and running Debian Sarge on my
computer. I have few other DBs which I created and which I have access
to (still I remember the passwords) but are not having access to MySQL
database.

Is there any way to recover from this situation. If I reinitialize the
DB (somehow) how can I port my existing information back in to the
initialized DB (without exporting and importing).

Any Debian friends who can help me.

Cheers,
Kosala

--

HI Kosala,

You can try to use this documentation.

Thanks,

Ehrwin

MySQL: changing forgotten root password (mysqld)

Applicable to: Red Hat Linux Systems
Updated: Mar 18, 2004

This Sheet describes the procedure how to change the root password of MySQL server.

   * Stop MySQL server if its running.
   * # service mysqld stop
   * Check that MySQL daemon has stopped
   * # ps -jef | grep mysqld
   * Start MySQL as root
   * # su -
   * # /usr/libexec/mysqld -Sg --user=root &
   * # mysql
   * mysql> use mysql
   * Now change the MySQL root password

* mysql> UPDATE user SET password=password("newpassword") WHERE user="root"; mysql> flush privileges;

   mysql> exit;

   * Stop MySQL server.
   * # killall mysqld
   * Verify that MySQL daemon is not running
   * # ps -jef | grep mysqld
   * Start MySQL the normal way, and all is good. For Red Hat this is:
   * # service mysqld start
   * Verify if MySQL daemon is running
   * # ps -jef | grep mysqld That's it.

   Jett Tayer and Ehrwin Mina