--- Alexey Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/8/06, Kevin Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway I can tune MySQL to improve this operation?
>
> There's a fundamental problem with B-trees - inserts in a big B-tree
> can be very slow, cause it may require tree rebalancing.
> One workaround for this problem is partitioning. MySQL 5.1 will have
> built-in partitioning support, but the idea itself is very simple,
> and
> you can achieve the same effect by manually spreading data among
> tables.
>
> --
> Alexey Polyakov

If B-trees are part of the problem, you may be able to change your
PRIMARY KEY to use a HASH index instead.

If you are using a MyISAM table, then you can get non-blocking inserts
if you have no deletion gaps in your data (simultaneous inserts and
reads). Use the OPTIMIZE TABLE command to re-organize your existing
table to eliminate the current deletion gaps.

Those are the two ideas off the top of my head.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine