At 17:20 +0200 11/4/06, Barry wrote:
Japanese say here: Ganbatte! (Do your best!)

Oh, so true! DYB! DYB! DYB!

Hmmm - now you've confused me a bit. Quoting from the section in the DuBois book:

"...a LEFT JOIN forces the result set to contain a row for every row in the left side table, whether or not there is a match for it in the right side table"

...which isn't necessarily what I want in all cases.

Well Internally he does that, but with additional WHERE clauses you can only have those columns LEFT JOINed you necessarily want.

Without WHERE he would exactly do what Mr. DuBois said.

Yeah - I think I see. I'll definitely read up again and get my head round this stuff properly.

Meanwhile, I've translated it back into the PHP that generates the query string and it all works very nicely indeed with the addition of a judicious 'distinct' in one place! So... thanks again, Barry!

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

I've had a wonderful evening - but this wasn't it.
   -- Groucho Marx to his hostess on leaving a party