On 4/11/06, Dana Diederich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We use a dedicated replicated instance for backups.
>
> Every night, we lock all of the tables, and dump all of them to
> compressed files, and unlock them afterwards.  It takes a while to catch
> up, but that doesn't hurt anything.

I too use this solution, but it occurs to me that it would be useful
if it were possible to replicate one database into another
(differently named) database on the same mysql instance for the very
purpose of taking snapshots without locking tables in the live system.

I realise that it is possible to do this by running two local mysql
instances, but a local replicator could be an interesting interim
backup solution. Might something like this be on the agenda, or would
the planned holistic backup solution eclipse such a feature.

Thanks,

Tez