Imran,
Thanks for your reply.
I tried what you asked, and it did the same.
I then went onto a couple of other boxes with EXACTLY the same MySQL install
and they worked (added the auto_increment).

The box that fails is running Redhat 7.3 (for customer backward
compatibilty). I dont have any other 7.3 boxes to try - everything else is
newer.

The my.cnf configuration files are pretty much the same on all installs.
The version we are using is (tarball install)...
mysql-standard-4.1.16-pc-linux-gnu-i686

The box where it doesnt work is the one on which it is most needed!

Many Regards,
Ian.