2006/4/13, Puiu Hrenciuc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table ( MyISAM, MySQL 5.0.20, FreeBSD ) containing network traffic
> data :
>
> record_time datetime  - time when recording was added
> ip char(15) - ip that generated the traffic
> type tinyint(3) - traffic type ( 1 - local, 2 - internet )
> inbound int(10) - in bytes
> outbound int(10) - out bytes
>
> Records are inserted each 5 minutes through a cron script.
> Currently there are 3,330,367 rows.
>
> Primary index is defined on ( ip, type, record_time ), columns in that
> order.
> Also there is an index defined only on record_time

You don't need a char(15) to store the IP. an unsigned integer should be enough.
there is INET_ATON and INET_NTOA to do the convertion.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/miscellaneous-functions.html
You'll save 11 bytes ! index will be smaller, and it'll give you a
better response time I think.