It would be helful if you could tell us what OS you are
using please? Your email address suggests you could be
running some flavour of Linux?

If so, can you tell us what package management system your
OS uses?

I run SuSE Linux 9.2 pro, which uses the Redhat Package
Management system - RPM.

Does shell:/ # rpm -qv mysql return anything at all on your
system?

If your system uses RPM, you should get something like this
for the installed packages.

karsites:/ # rpm -qv mysql
mysql-3.23.x.rpm
karsites:/ #