Those functions do give useful information, but as you point out, the
trick is associating that information with a specific query.  For my
use, there will most likely be other SQL activity going on at the same
time which makes doing a 'SHOW ENGINE ...' before and after the query
not very useful.

Thanks for the pointers, however.
  - Sam