Kai, could this be a DNS issue? MySQL will normally try to look up which host you are coming from, if it is not localhost. If you have an incorrect DNS entry on the server, or a malfunctioning DNS server, this could be the problem.

You can try adding

skip-name-resolve

under the [mysqld] section of your my.cnf file, and restarting the MySQL server software. Would easily help you identify whether DNS is the cause of your issue.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Hi @all

i have a Problem with Login into a MySQL 5 Server. When i try to login from a
remote Machine into the Server, it needs up to 30 seconds. When i login from
the same machine all is at it should be.

After login the Server is responding normal to querys.

My Environment:
SuSE 10.0
MySQL 5.0.20-max (i tried it also with 5.0.20-standard and 5.0.18-standard)

I tried to login from an MS Windows XP Machine with ODBC 3.51.20 and with
MySQL Administrator and Query Browser.
I tried it also with SuSE 10 with MySQL Administrator and Query Browser.
Everytime it is the same. Login Process is very poor.

When i use the Query Browser, for each Query there is a new Login to the
Server. So he needs for each Query about 30 Seconds and for the Query (a
small one) 1 Second. Thats ugly.

Somebody a Tip for me, how to figure out the Problem?

Kai