boll schrieb:
Hi-
Using MySQL 4.1.11 on Fedora 4.
I moved my data directory to a FAT partition in order to share it with Windows dual-boot. Now when I try to start mysqld normally, it fails with these messages in the log:

060420 18:16:03  mysqld started
060420 18:16:03 [Warning] Can't create test file /mnt/FAT/mysqldata/localhost.lower-test /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/mnt/FAT/mysqldata/' (Errcode: 13)
060420 18:16:03 [ERROR] Aborting

However, I can start mysqld using: mysqld_safe, so I know it's possible.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Did you check FAT-permissions?
When mounting a FAT-partition, you have to set explicit permissions while mounting as FAT does not understand the unix permission concept.

Try to mount this way:
mount -t vfat -o uid=mysql,gid=mysql,rw,umask=007 /dev/[yourdevicename] /your/mountpoint

Then it should work.

Regards,
Dominik