Nigel wrote:

> If you can't or won't do this properly by using a transactional table
> and begin/commit at least look at using get_lock() based guard
> conditions which only lock a string leaving the database accessable.
> Whatever you do if you client is php install a shutdown handler to clean
> up any locks.

Hi Nigel,

Just one question:  the documentation of get_lock() says that the lock is
freed when a process terminates.

Does this also occur with mod_php and persistent connections if a PHP script
dies (say, due to fatal error or CPU limit timeout)?

It isn't clear how mod_php works and why with persistent connections the
"LOCK TABLES" locks wouldn't be freed but the get_lock() lock would.

You were suggesting that I replace the LOCK/UNLOCK TABLES critical section
with one implemented using get_lock()???

Or maybe you are suggesting something else ...

Thanks, Dave.