Having done my upgrade from version 3 to 5, I'm looking forward to the benefits of language support beyond the confines of Western Europe. However, it seems I need to convert the database I have now.

We have material in the database at the moment in English, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. All the pages and PHP scripts are in UTF8, and I've been using the PHP function utf8_decode() before recording strings in the db because MySQL 3 doesn't support UFT8. Similarly I've been using utf8_encode() after reading them and outputting them to the web.

It's become clear (from removing utf8_encode() from a script that reads the data) that simply setting the table's collation to utf8_general_ci isn't enough, and that the data itself is not utf8 encoded.

I've looked in the docs but can't find a procedure to follow to convert my existing data to utf8. Can anyone point me to the right page?

Or is the only way simply to knock up a utility script in php to read it all out, encode it, then write it back? Easy enough to do, but a bit of a pain!

--
Cheers... Chris
Highway 57 Web Development -- http://highway57.co.uk/

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.