From: Brian J. Matt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:37 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: How to select the last entry per item

Hi,

I hope this is the right list for this question. If not, I'm happy to get
help on where to post this question.  Apologies in advance if this is an old
question.

We are designing a simple a tracking database with a table of entries
showing the current location of each item in the system.  Something simple
like this.

Table_xyz
item_id | location | status | time_stamp

As the items move new time stamped entries are added to the database.  How
would you query to find the current location of all the items currently in
the system.  As you might expect we don't want to replace the entry for an
item when a location update is made because we need to keep the history.  We
plan on removing items after a suitable delay when they reach their
destination.

Thanks

-Brian