My sql is not so great. The dates are entered through a dropdown box in the format dd/mm/yyyy (uk date format) as a VARCHAR.

I could use strrev and str_replace (PHP) to get it in the correct format but will the mysql query you send work on a VARCHAR which it is it present or will I have to change the field to DATE?

Ross

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Lauri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: Getting the previous months documents

You should start by using MySQL date as the standard for date: YYYY-MM-DD

After that it is simple:

SELECT * FROM documents WHERE doc_date<2006-05-02 ORDER BY doc_date DESC
LIMIT 1;

Othervise you could use MySQL function to take sub strings and create a
field in the query that extract it as 06-05-02 and order by that.

/Peter