I have a really simple (two tables, one relation) but big (~70 GB)
innodb database containing rather dynamic data.  After deleting lots
of records from the tables, the innodb data files still take the same
amount of disk space as before.  What is the correct way of freeing
the disk space?

The general solution seems to be "alter table tablename type=innodb"
which completely rebuilds the table, but this is not acceptable
because:

  a) It locks the table during the operation making it unavailable to
     other clients.

  b) It involves copying the table, taking twice the disk space during
     the operation - disk space that I do not have.

Is there another way of doing this?