Hello,
I've just wanted to update MySQL 5.0 on my test machine that will be a
productive server very soon. But upgrading MySQL like installing it
after MySQL's guide brings a problem: I'd need to move the data
directory to the new programme directory every time. So I want to move
the datadir outside the application's directory, from
/usr/local/mysql5/data (with mysql5 being a symlink to mysql-5.0.xx-...)
to /var/mysql5/data. So I moved the entire data directory to the new
location and tried to start the MySQL server. After a while printing out
dots, it says "ERROR!" and that's it. When I have tried it with MySQL
4.0 and after adding some more of the suppressed output to the scripts,
it seems like the startup script expects at least the "mysql" database
to be located inside $basedir/data/mysql which of course is not what I
meant to do. Is this true that MySQL wants all its databases to be
inside the programme directory? Is there any other way to move the
datadir out there without hacking all the scripts - over and over with
each update? (Then I could just as well move the datadir each time...)

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://beta.unclassified.de – My web laboratory.