Hi,

we've had a strange problem with mysql for quite some time which could not be solved so far.

The problem is with servers with a lot of databases (10.000+)

If one connects to mysql and issues a show database this will take ages
and eat up 100% cpu.

It does not matter if you connect as root or as a standard user that has only privileges for one database.

If you set no-auto-rehash in the cnf then show databases will be fast again as root.

It still takes ages as a normal user though.

e.g.

mysql -uroot -p
mysql> show databases;
+------------------+
55693 rows in set (0.21 sec)

mysql>

mysql -uproftpd -p
mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| proftpd  |
+----------+
1 row in set (4.70 sec)

If auto-rehash is not disabled then show databases / use <database> takes ages for both root / standard users (around 15 sek in the example).

This is not really a hardware / filesystem problem I think. We have thrown any possible hardware at it. The examples above are on a

Dual Opteron 280
16GB RAM
12x 18GB 15K RPM SCSI @ Mylex 600 U320 RAID 10
Filesystem XFS (also tested ReiserFS, other people with the same problem also tested ext3) 30-60k Databases (problem also exists a bit slighter on a small set of 7000 databases - hardware independend no matter what you throw at it) MySQL 4.0.26 AMD64 (problem also verified on i386 with different sets of databases + servers etc)

Server is not in use, not other processes running etc.
Almost no filesytem activity during show databases. Only 100% CPU.

I have also found other references to this problem:

http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/196396
http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/197140
http://www.rootforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39984 (german, examples + same problem)

If you need any additional information I can provide you with whatever you need.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Alex