thanks keith...

Regards,
shivaji

>On Thu, 4 May 2006, Shivaji S wrote:
>>
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], mysql@lists.mysql.com
>> From: Shivaji S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: Re: Mysql on Production Servers
>>

>> Keith Roberts thanks for the input ,i have few doubts on your reply.
>>
>> 1.when i am installaing rpm based files, should my operating
>> system contains the necessary files that are build on rpm
>> packagei.e compilers,gccversions etc.

You might like to try this distro first:

Linux x86 generic RPM (statically linked against glibc
2.2.5) downloads
Server          5.0.21-0        13.9M   Pick a mirror
MD5: b22c4bb165716062647f3ffb478cf04e
        Max     5.0.21-0        2.9M    Pick a mirror
MD5: bb4c3e5764ba6c5f8439dfbc849c5ca3
Benchmark/test suites           5.0.21-0        6.1M    Pick
a mirror
MD5: eed868b8cc18cd45f18f33db4e738955
Client programs         5.0.21-0        7.0M    Pick a
mirror
MD5: 0190ce11547014465747707ea4062abf
Libraries and header files              5.0.21-0        3.8M
Pick a mirror
MD5: 8c3ea8cf16346f5292cdfe6296ebc956
Shared client libraries         5.0.21-0        2.0M    Pick
a mirror
MD5: 28d626cda409290e8527d1d79af91e0c
Shared compatibility libraries
(3.23, 4.x, 5.x libs in same package)           5.0.21-0
3.7M    Pick a mirror
MD5: 2f8aac33b2c659ef1b9bdc634b6f419e

>> 2.if i want to create more than one instance on my server
>> with same mysql versions then how rpm package will help for
>> me.

Please see:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/

5.4.3. mysqld_multi - Manage Multiple MySQL Servers

5.5. mysqlmanager - The MySQL Instance Manager

5.5.1. Starting the MySQL Server with MySQL Instance
Manager
5.5.2. Connecting to the MySQL Instance Manager and

Creating User Accounts
    5.5.3. MySQL Instance Manager Command Options
    5.5.4. MySQL Instance Manager Configuration Files
    5.5.5. Commands Recognized by the MySQL Instance Manager

>> 3.in case of binary installation is it recommended for
>> production database compared to source files.

The binaries are all built from the same source code for
each version, so there should be no difference, apart from
you not having to go to the trouble of compiling things
yourself.

Regards

Keith