All:

I am developing a search engine and using MySQL as the backend database
management system.  Under normal circumstances, when users search through
large volumes of records on a search engine site, the results are broken
down into pages.  When a user clicks on the 'Next' link, the system will
re-query the database and return those records that pertain to that page
(records 10 through 20, perhaps).  This, as you can plainly see, requires
the application to re-query the same data from the same table each time
the user clicks on a 'Next' or 'Previous' link.  I would imagine that this
may lead to some resource contention on that main table, especially when
many users are using the system simultaneously.

I've never seen vBulletin's code, but I have been able to determine from
careful analysis (and testing) that they employ a search table, of sorts,
that contains the returned records from a search.  So, when a user of the
system submits a search query, the system returns the records and throws
them into a separate search table, identified by a sequential primary key
field.  Then, the system uses that search table to display the appropriate
records according to the respective search identifier (referenced in the
URL), never touching the main table again until a brand new search is
performed.

This seems to be a pretty good way to facilitate large text-based
searches.  Are there any other mechanisms that can be used to build a
powerful, yet quick and light on resources, search system?  Is a fulltext
index the best way to achieve maximum performance with this kind of
search?

Thanks.

--
Steve - Web Applications Developer