This doesn't work.  If I

grant all on *.* to ''@workstation.domain.local

Then, I find a record in mysql.user with host=workstation.domain.local,
user is blank, password is blank.  If I then connect to the server from
my workstation using the MySQL query browser and leave the user id and
password blank, it connects and works.

After much horsing around, I can make it work as:
mysql --user=anything --host=host -p
(Press enter at the password prompt)

Silly me, I thought I had to somehow supply a blank value for the user
name.  Instead, I have to simply supply an empty password.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rich