On 5/5/06, Rhino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Payne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 12:09 AM
Subject: Output to a file

> Hey,
>
> been trying to output a select statment to a file, all the books I have
> only show how to input from a file, what is the correct way....
>
> I thought I could do select * from my_toy >> `/tmp/my_toys`
>
> But I get an error.

Here is a snippet from some documentation about MySQL which I wrote for
myself. It shows a  different technique for capturing output from a batch
file into an output file; if the batch file contains 'select * from
my_toy',
it will capture the output in a file. It's not exactly what you want but
maybe it will be "close enough".

Running a script from OS prompt

If you are connected to the database and are at an OS prompt, use this
pattern:

mysql < batch-file > output-file

For example, if I want to run a script or batch file named
my_batch_file.sql
and write the output of the script to a file named my_batch_file.out, I'd
need to do this:

mysql < my_batch_file.sql > my_batch_file.out

If you are NOT connected to the database, use this pattern:

mysql -u username -p < batch_file > output_file

For example, if your user name is 'fred' and your password is 'dino' and
you
want to run a script or batch file named my_batch_file.sql against
database
'barf' and write the output to a file called my_batch_file.out, you'll
need
to do this:

mysql barf -u fred -p < my_batch_file.sql > my_batch_file.out

[Be sure to supply the password when prompted.]

--

Rhino